2017 Theatre Application Guidelines, Terms & Conditions
Festival Dates: August 3 – 12th, 2017
The streets will be closed to traffic from 6:00 pm – 10:30 pm on weekdays, and noon – 10:30 pm on weekends, including holiday Monday.
Applications are available as of Thursday, September 15, 2016 (12:01am, Saskatchewan time) at the bottom of this page. We are a first come, first served Fringe.
Important for 2017: Artist load in/load out time between shows will be 45 minutes.
- Saskatoon’s Fringe dates are between Winnipeg’s and Edmonton’s and this includes the August long weekend.
- In 2017 we plan on having seven indoor theatre venues, all within four blocks of the PotashCorp Fringe Central box office (639 Broadway Ave).
- Our selection process is first come, first served and is uncensored, non-juried, and entirely open.*
- We return 100% of the box office revenue, after government taxes and administration fees, to the participating companies.
- Our ticketing system features a one price point ticketing system for all regular pre-sale and rush tickets at festival 2017: $15.00, This pricing includes a $3 administration fee, 5% Goods and Services Tax (GST) and foreign artist tax (if applicable). We remit taxes due and GST to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) on behalf of all artists and producers without exception. We have some other pricing as well including a discounted multi-pack.
- Saskatoon’s PotashCorp Fringe allocates seven shows per company, with each show limited to 70 minutes in length.
- The total box office in 2016 was greater than $100,000, or approximately $3000 per company across the 34 participating theatre groups.
- Billeting services are provided to theatre companies at no cost based on available accommodations and proper notice.
- *KidsFringe plays are required to meet criteria to ensure that the show is suitable for audiences of ages 4-10.
- 7 Provincial / Saskatchewan theatre slots
- 7 National / Canadian theatre slots
- 7 International theatre slots; International means you pay taxes in a country other than Canada
- 4 from any of the above once a category is filled. Example: all 7 Provincial theatre slots are full, and you’re from Saskatchewan. If your application is accepted we would place you in the Mixed category as an 8th Provincial theatre company.
- 5 from the CAFF – Canadian Assoc. of Fringe Festival Lottery.
- 3 KidsFringe (first come, first-served – criteria based selection) from Provincial, National, or International
When we have thirty (30) Theatre Companies and three (3) KidsFringe companies we will maintain a waitlist, which requires a $50 non-refundable payment for registration purposes.
Each year, the PotashCorp Fringe Theatre Festival presents a KidsConnect program that is designed to allow children to have a positive theatre experience. In 2016 we organized the attendance of over 600 people for the three KidsFringe plays offered at our Festival through this program.
In the KidsConnect program, the majority of attendees are ages 4-8. As such, we are obliged to ensure that the content of these plays is suitable for young audiences. The following is the criteria we use to gauge the appropriateness of any play submitted to the KidsFringe category:
- The play must be approximately 45 minutes in length.
- The play must be at a level that would appeal to young children.
- The topic/subject matter of the play must be suitable for young children (e.g. No death, destruction, or violence).
- The vocabulary must be geared towards young children.
- The content must be age appropriate (e.g. no sexual innuendo).
- Companies are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis, based on payment processing date and time. Placement in the festival is assured and performance space is allocated / reserved after the application is approved and full payment is processed. Please ensure payment can be processed immediately by credit card as our preferred method of payment.
- Fees are as follows: $50 non-refundable processing fee + $680.00 performer fee = $730 total / for seven shows. This is due in one payment. After applying via the Google form, and you are accepted, we will email an organized Paypal link to you. Please click the link and follow the steps on the page to process payment with us. Once we are full, we require companies wishing to be on the wait list to pay the $50 registration fee to hold a wait list position. This will be communicated to you via email or phone.
- Payment by cheque is acceptable and is payable to: 25th Street Theatre Centre Inc- but you must inform us that you are paying cheque. You must use two cheques, one for the $50 registration fee, and one for the $680 fee. If the category you are registering for is full by the time your payment arrives you will be placed on the wait list and only one cheque ($50) will be deposited. Keep in mind, we do not process applications until payment is received. Cheques and money orders must be payable to 25th Street Theatre Centre. Please make reference to your Company Name on your payment. Please ensure that all money orders are in Canadian Funds. NSF cheques will be subject to a $25 charge.
- ***If you are chosen in the CAFF lottery and have already registered with Saskatoon and paid the full fee, we will refund the $680 fee. CAFF lottery winners MUST be processed by CAFF. Your refund will be accomplished before the CAFF fee is charged to ensure no duplication of payment occurs.
We strive to be fair and transparent in the provision of opportunities for the artists in this festival. The declarations noted below will assist us in placing the Company / Artist in the right category and support fair management of our waitlist. Please call us if you have any questions or concerns about these processes.
Artist Declaration and Obligation to Full Disclosure:
- You must declare the country you will be paying income tax in for the relevant tax year (Jan to Dec 2017) to properly establish your company placement as Provincial, Canadian, or International.
- The category placement of artists, companies, or a produced show will be determined by 25th Street Theatre Inc.
Producers Declaration & Obligation to Full Disclosure.
A Producer can apply and secure one performance slot only, with an option to waitlist a second show. The exception to this is if a second show is a KidsFringe Show, which we allow if there are unfilled slots.
- A wait-listed second show will move to unfilled open slots in the appropriate categories after March 1, 2017.
- Producers must name the actor / actors in show before the application is processed (no exceptions) or the application will not be processed.
- Producers must declare the country of origin of the actors in the application process.
- Performance slots are legally assigned to a Theatre Company / Artist (and named artists) only and are not transferable or saleable to another party under any circumstance. For example: a registered artist or company cannot become a producer of another person’s show in their slot. This is NOT permissible. If you have any questions about this process please call early so we can refund any applicable amounts and move our wait list. Failure to comply with this will result in a loss of your performance slot and your fee without recourse.
- Date of withdrawal notice will determine the cancellation fee. If we can move another company into your slot, FROM OUR WAITLIST ONLY, we will issue a full refund of the $680 fee. The $50 processing fee in all cases is non-refundable.
- Withdrawal without a wait list replacement before December 1, 2016 results in a 75% refund ($510).
- Withdrawal without a wait list replacement on/after December 1, 2016 & before March 1st, 2017 results in a 50% refund ($340)
Withdrawal after March 1, 2017 results in no refund and forfeiture of the paid fee, regardless of whether or not we have a company able to take your slot.